Hi, I have just been contemplating something lately.  I am wondering if I have some hormone imbalance or thyroid problem or something.  My periods have always been irregular since I was 13, I am 22 now.  They would go from 48 days to 24 days month to month and there was no regularity at all.  They were also very painful and heavy.  I went to a gynecologist when I was 18 when I'd had enough finally, and expected to get my hormones or something tested, however she just put me on HBC (Yaz to be precise) and diagnosed me with PMDD as well.  (Which, I do not disagree with).  Yaz seemed to make my periods much lighter and less painful, my PMS was a lot better and my period was like clockwork as long as I took my pills on time.

Last year, I changed doctors because I moved and my doctor refused to prescribe me Yaz because I get migraines with aura. (My previous doctor was aware of this but prescribed it to me anyway, she was not worried about it.  This was before all the lawsuits occured).  So he prescribed me the minipill (Noriday to be precise) and my periods have been random like they used to since.  I've only had 3, but they are not regular at all and are more painful and heavy again.  My PMS is definitely worse than it was when I was on Yaz.  I am basically unhappy with the minipill for these reasons, but I don't know what other options I have, if there are any options that could help the same symptoms Yaz did.

So I have always wondered if I do have some thyroid problem that was never tested and I would kind of like to get tested.  Is it possible to go get a blood test without a doctors referral?  I know the test is going to be expensive and a doctor appointment on top of that will not help…anyone have advice or thoughts?

Edited to addd: In recent years, I have been experiencing a pain on my inner hip or upper groin that feels like a joint pain to me.  Its gotten noticeably worse over the last year/being in enough pain to wake me up in the middle of the night.  It hurts much worse after I have to sit still for long stretches of time, and I'm wondering if this could be related at all?

Tagged with →  

5 Responses to Thyroid problem? Get tested?

  1. Yrtbody says:

    I have a thyroid imbalance (I’m 23 and I was diagnosed in second grade; I’ve been on medicine ever since). Mine is hypothyroidism, which means that it’s under active.in addition to weight gain, the symptoms are a lot like menopause. Hot flashes, etc.
    I started my period when I was 11. It was HORRIBLE. It was super heavy, my PMS made me a super bitch, I had excruciating cramps, etc. To make matters worse, I was (and still am) unble to use tampons. Other than that, I was actually really regular once it started.
    I tried out a few different forms of BC–low dose things when I was younger, in hopes they would help. (I was even on Yaz for a bit.) They actually made mine worse. I’m on Kariva/Mircette now and the difference is amazing. My period is so light it’s almost nonexistent and I really only have cramps/pain on day one.

    So, as far as the thyroid goes, it doesn’t sound too much like that’s an issue here, unless you have some of those other problems. (Hyperthryroidism–over active–has basically the opposite symptoms. Weight loss, being cold, you know.) A hormonal imbalance could definitely be a possibility, though. Or have you ever had an ultrasound done? My mom only has one ovary and that’s created some issues. There might be something like that going on as well. (Especially with the hip pain.)

    Sorry I couldn’t give you any more concrete information on a diagnosis, but good luck!

  2. Arava says:

    I thought that for hypothyroidism it was more typical to feel cold (and tired) a lot, while it was hot flashes and restlessness for hyperthyroidism? Anyway, as for the rest, I can’t say much – just wanted to add that bit of information 🙂

  3. Yrtbody says:

    Sensitive to cold, but the later symptoms/things you have to deal with are menopausal-like.


    Early symptoms:

    Being more sensitive to cold



    Fatigue or feeling slowed down

    Heavier menstrual periods

    Joint or muscle pain

    Paleness or dry skin

    Thin, brittle hair or fingernails


    Weight gain (unintentional)

    Late symptoms, if left untreated:

    Decreased taste and smell


    Puffy face, hands, and feet

    Slow speech

    Thickening of the skin

    Thinning of eyebrows

    Signs and tests

    A physical examination may reveal a smaller than normal thyroid gland, although sometimes the gland is normal size or even enlarged (goiter). The examination may also reveal:

    Brittle nails

    Coarse facial features

    Pale or dry skin, which may be cool to the touch

    Swelling of the arms and legs

    Thin and brittle hair

    A chest x-ray may show an enlarged heart.

  4. Arava says:

    Thank you for the information! I was diagnosed with what my doctor called “latent” hypothyroidism a couple of years ago (T3 and T4 normal, elevated TSH), which is asymptomatic and in my case went away by taking iodine, but because of that I read up a bit of things on the topic and just wanted to know now if I’d got the information right 🙂

  5. Hteall says:

    It is never a bad idea to get tested for thyroid issues, especially if you had high TSH in the past. (And unless your doctor tested your free values of T3 and T4, it is not impossible that you had low bioavailable levels.) Heavy periods are indeed sometimes linked to thyroid issues. So is joint pain!

    Get the numbers for your thyroid testing, to be sure what’s going on. If the joint pain doesn’t clear up with thyroid treatment (assuming you need it), then I would consult a… drat, I forget the term for a joint-specializing doctor.

    I would also suggest getting a test of your ferritin, Vitamin D, and Vitamin B levels while you’re getting your blood drawn for the thyroid testing, if you can swing the cost; my PMS got much better when I started taking a B complex nearly every day, but some people get more anxiety/irritability if they take B, so it depends.

    For getting a test without a referral, that can be tricky. You may need to call up the local testing places and ask if they will do tests without referrals, and what those tests would cost. You could probably also search for something like blood test without referral and add your city and state to the search. You may also want to call a local Planned Parenthood and see if they have any ideas or ability to test on a sliding scale. (Their ability to do stuff like that all depends on their local funding. Some are ill-funded enough that they can only offer services at-cost. O:( )

    Good luck!

Leave a Reply