As a bit of background, at the age of 24 I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst the size of a basketball and ultimately had to have my right ovary and fallopian tube removed.
Fast forward 8 years: I have been having some intermittent pain in my abdomen for awhile but shrugged it off as adhesions from my surgery. However, after waking up one night to the most horrenduous abdominal pain I have EVER felt, vomiting and passing out.. I decided I might want to visit my GP. She did a UA and a pelvis exam and told me that my urine contained trace amounts of blood and pus and that she felt like my ovary was enlarged. She urged me get a sonogram and since I don’t have insurance provided me the number to a low cost clinic and stressed that if I felt the pain again I was to go to the ER. I called the clinic that day and was told they were booked for that month.. and the next and I could call back in 2 months to see if I could get an appointment (to screen me for eligibility.)I decided I would need to make my own appointment at an imaging center and go from there but that very next day the pain returned and I went to the Women’s ER at the County Hospital. After 14 hours in the waiting room, I saw 3 doctors and had a sonogram… which revealed a cyst about the same size (11inx10inx9in)as the one that took my right ovary and an enlarged uterus. The ER docotr told me that because the cyst is so large, it’s difficult to tell where it originates from but most likely it’s my left (and only remaining) ovary. She spoke with the chief resident and they discussed admitting me but decided that because I was no longer in excruciating pain I could go home. Once again, armed with the number to a low cost clinc. This time so that I could schedule an appointment with a gynecological surgeon to talk about my scans and schedule surgery. When I called THIS clinic, I was told they have openings in NOVEMBER.
Ladies, this is my last ovary and I have never had a child although I dearly want one. It’s highly possible that my ovary is already history but if it’s NOT, I am terrified of waiting any longer for this surgery. If there’s any chance at all to save it, I want to do that. Obviously, with no insurance freezing eggs is an option that is available to me financially.
I suppose my questions for y’all is: Have any of you ever had a cyst this size removed WITHOUT losing your ovary also?